As the Summer holidays draw to a close, the Dáil will be due to start a new term on the 15th September. In recent weeks Leo Varadkar has been promoting the DETE’s “Making Remote-Working-Work” Strategy via Twitter and press conferences. The Government are planning to gear up their efforts to push forward the legislation that is necessary for employees to request for remote work.
It has now been confirmed that the offical date that staff can return to the office is the 20th September. This is largely due to the positive uptake in vaccines and the shift towards regaining some normality, but the experience of remote working has made employees and employers alike question whether a full return is desired?
Based on the findings of numerous surveys and feedback collected over the past 18 months it seems that employees have found that they would like to keep the flexibility that remote working offers going forward. One of the main factors that has influenced the opinion of many workers is the time that is saved by not having to commute long distances and getting stuck in traffic.
By working from home people are using that extra bit of time to focus on their family and health. However, there is still a want for some element of the traditional office workplace to be included in their life. Many businesses are considering introducing a blended or hybrid model which would allow for staggered workdays on and offsite to meet their staffs’ wishes.
A survey of 226 companies conducted by the Institute of Directors found that just 8% want to have their staff exclusively work in the office after restrictions are lifted. Two-thirds of those 226 participants will be offering blended work to enable social distancing and continue following health & safety guidelines*.
In the run up to the looming office return date, online resources and checklists have been made available to businesses detailing some practical measures to be taken into consideration when trying to maintain a safe office environment and how best to provide long-term remote working for employees.
How we can support your business adapt to a new way of working!
I.T. Support 4U wants to help businesses make that long-term transition by offering a range of services and products which will enable your business to work efficiently and productively regardless of location. We have the equipment, security packages and user-friendly online workplace platforms that will serve as an advantage when moving your business forward into a post-covid marketplace.
Key factors to considering when introducing a blended work model
- Employers should provide employees with the devices needed to do their work. This will mean that you can update and monitor the software and security packages that are installed on the device.
It also gives the employer the right to enforce strict protocol around the use and maintenance of the device.
This should act as a deterrent from employees using the devices for personal use e.g., accessing social media accounts or letting other family members/roommates access the internet and emails which might result in data loss, breach or physical damage.
Policies & Procedures
- There should be a clear I.T. Policies and Procedures in place to ensure that best practice is followed regarding the maintenance of the device and the security of the information being stored and transmitted. Consider including the following:
- Use complex passwords-avoid passwords relating to you personally or the business, try incorporating words from a different language or use random/unrelated words mixed with numbers and special characters.
- Use Multi-Factor Authentication to access various accounts.
- Try to avoid reusing the same passwords, look at the option of a password manager tool.
- Set the device to lock after a short length of inactivity.
- Do not install more than one Anti-virus/Anti-Malware software on the device. Any changes or extra security software/tools should be assessed and approved by the I.T. department.
- Do not leave confidential information unencrypted at home or in public spaces. Avoid connecting to public Wi-fi.
- Ensure all hard copies of files are stored appropriately and that any unwanted material is shredded.
- Run & test Back-ups regularly.
- Keep all software apps updated with the latest version, these updates are made to address any recently identified vulnerabilities.
Staff Training & Cyber Security Awareness
- It is recommended that staff participate in cybersecurity training to reinforce the importance of following these measures to reduce the risk of a breach or malware infection.
Due to the dramatic increase in Phishing scams and similar cyber-based criminal activity, creating awareness amongst staff is key to protecting your business from these threats. During Covid many businesses have fallen prey to fraudulent emails with serious consequences as a result of human error.
- Remote workers should be advised to harden their Wi-Fi-network and use the business’s VPN.
- It is important to encrypt any information being communicated online and any request for payments or transfer of funds should be verified with colleagues or senior staff, preferably by phone.
- Additional caution should be taken when scheduling online meetings or conferences:
- Use an access password or pin and share this by text, if possible.
- Enable features that will alert the meeting members of newly joined participants.
- Lock the meeting after everyone who should be in attendance has joined.
- Avoid chat/file sharing, especially sensitive information.
- Do not record the meeting unless it is necessary.
Set your Business up for SUCCESS!
Datto Workplace is an enterprise grade File Sync and Share solution which enables seamless collaboration across every device and can integrate Microsoft office or G-suite. Staff can access and share files safely from any location which fully accommodates remote workers. It is user friendly and will retain any deleted files for recovery purposes for an extended length of time in comparison to software such as OneDrive. Mistakes do occur and might not be noticed until a later date, so this feature is a time and stress saver!
Datto Workplace also offers a higher level of protection. The software is designed to detect incoming threats or suspicious files, these are tracked and reverted back to safety without disruption or loss of productivity.
There is no need for staff to feel intimidated by Workplace because the platform is monitored by your MSP which means that you and your employees have the support needed to combat any possible security threats or tackle I.T. issues being experienced at home or in the office. The Datto Workplace Sever supports a hybrid model, enabling real-time access outside the LAN without the need for a VPN.
It is a highly regarded “File Sync & Share” platform that will allow your business to provide a flexibility to staff without much fuss or hassle.
Datto File Protection
Datto File Protection is the first step towards establishing a “Back-Up” system within your business. Datto file protection operates in the background and is constantly storing and protecting your work files against common scenarios in which data is compromised.
For example, what if the hardware was badly damaged or decided to give out while you were trying to meet a deadline? Another common scenario that we have all experienced is getting distracted and accidently deleting or losing a file that we have been working on, then left struggling to recover the most recent copy-the stress! Most, importantly the situation that most businesses dread to think of is how to recover data if there has been a cyber-attack!?
Datto File Protection provides a safety net if the business or an employee was unfortunate enough to find themselves in any of these situations. Once connected to the internet, Datto File Protection will be continuously backing up all the business’s valuable data regardless of location or device providing the same level of data protection in the office or at home. Any files that need to be recovered are accessible up to six months in a simple process that either your staff or MSP/Administrator can perform within minutes.
Datto Cloud Continuity for PCs
Datto Cloud Continuity for PCs is a Cloud-based service which we offer for those looking to back-up their computer. It offers fast reliable back-ups for PCs which can sometimes be tricky for less advanced software to offer. Datto Cloud Continuity pauses while the computer is not in use or moves between networks, then resumes once active again and ensures that nothing is lost. Datto Cloud Continuity is an image based BCDR which provides extensive screenshot verification of all data and can be easily accessed if recovery of a specific file or folder is needed. This can be easily integrated with other Datto products to ensure that your business is covered from data loss.
Datto Alto/SIRIS – Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
SIRIS is an all-in-one Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery solution. By unifying back-up with disaster recovery SIRIS offers recovery of the system within seconds either in the Datto cloud or on the hardware/SIRIS appliance. It also provides multiple recovery options:
- Full File restore of a deleted or corrupted files/folder
- Rapid Rollback to quickly undo widespread changes such as ransomware infection
- Image Export for full virtual server restore
- Bare Metal Recovery to re-image a server to new hardware.
If most of that is not easy to understand you don’t need to worry as IT Support4U will be the first point of contact to make if there was a need to recover your business’s critical data. This means that you do not have to be an expert in I.T. and can focus on what you do best! By having a BCDR running your business can bounce back faster from a cyber-attack or the aftermath of flooding, fire etc. It is vital that those who work in sectors that involve processing and storing a high volume of sensitive data should be protected with a BCDR system.
Eset Endpoint Security
IT Support4U also is an ESET affiliate and can provide businesses with advanced Anti-virus/Anti-Malware Security packages. ESET Endpoint Protection is an Enterprise Grade Security package which protects against ransomware, blocks targeted attacks, prevents data breaches, stops fileless attacks and detects advanced persistent threats. ESET Endpoint Protection can be use across multiple devices so phones, tablets and laptops which you use while working are kept secure.
At I.T. Support4U we do more than back-ups and Internet security, we can help businesses with the mundane I.T. problems that interfere with productivity levels such as poor Wi-Fi coverage, laptops issues and printer connectivity. If your business wants to upgrade their I.T. system, we are just a call away to offer advice and get you the right spec for the job.
We also stock a range of essential products and accessories that are useful for networking and connectivity such as webcams, headsets, keyboards, Wi-fi Extenders, adapters, laptop chargers, cables, external hard-drives, USB keys and can supply the specific ink/toner your business requires.
I.T Support 4U can provide ongoing assistance and resolve any problems that your business may encounter while adopting a Remote working or Hybrid model as part of the ongoing trend to developing a more flexible and mobile workplace. We offer a range of affordable and scalable packages that will help your business operate efficiently and productively no matter where you or your employees are based !